You can avoid would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:
- DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON-follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
- NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
- FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON-BANKS WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
- NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.).
- AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
- DO NOT PURCHASE GOODS SIGHT-UNSEEN-that amazing cheap item may not exist.
- DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT OR BACKGROUND CHECKS until you have met the buyer in person.
- CANADAHOUSEFORSALE IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, provide escrow, "buyer protection" or "seller certification."
Most scams involve one or more of the following:
- Inquiry from someone far away, often in another country.
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before accepting transaction.
The overwhelming majority of users are trustworthy and well-intentioned.With billions of human interactions facilitated, the incidence of violent crime is extremely low.
Nevertheless, please take the same common sense precautions online as you would offline.
When meeting someone for the first time, please remember to:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful when buying/selling high value items.
- Tell a friend or family member where you're going.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts.
Taking these simple precautions helps make CANADAHOUSEFORSALE safer for everyone.